The Trend Is Your Friend

How in the world do we give ourselves guidance and encouragement on our healing and growth and stability and strength? Especially when the “data” from moment to moment is soooo noisy?

The Trend - Awareness

When I ask my body something like “how’s my muscle mass trending?” it will have a clue (or two). There are the visual clues. There are strength and stamina clues. There are kinesthetic clues (touching my body and felt sense within my body). I consider all those useful indicators.

Indeed, the “felt sense” and intuition are now the ones I rely on the most. It was those that really said, “Hey, we’ve become sedentary amidst this pandemic. Muscles need to move! Let’s move!”

In the 51+ days I’ve now been doing my Morning Mile I can feel my muscles have changed. Is it visible? Sure, if you look REALLY closely. The felt sense is clearer. My intuition says that my muscle health has gone from a 3-4 to a 5-6+. My energetic blueprint is more active, too – a felt sense – and starting to shift muscles and balance and posture.

So why do I share this? Because…

I believe in the power of subtle trends – even ones that are noisy with ups and downs.

Look at the muscle mass chart I pasted in from my smart scale app.

1. The moving average curve clearly shows the trend towards more muscle mass. The more I use my muscles, the more they grow. And they also hold more water in them (which is healthier, too).

2. The daily measures are ALL OVER! Notice particularly the days where it dips below where I started. Some of this is the imprecision of the scale and its algorithms. And some is related to hydration level, too. Still, there are also felt senses of muscle vitality which if I mapped out would also be ALL OVER the place. And, still with a positive trend towards well-being.

How we measure “now” isn’t our Trend.

When we’re wanting to be more calm and confident, for example, there will be MANY moments when we’re not one or the other… or we’re feeling like an anxious mess that is convinced we cannot do anything right. (Or is that just me? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

When we practice the skills, though, we can get a felt sense of the trend. The trend is our friend. But sometimes we need to step back. Sometimes we need to even get external reads on what those who really care about us are noticing of our trend.

What about when the trend ain’t good?

When I say The Trend is Your Friend, I include the truth that sometimes our trends are towards depletion, or towards chronic overwhelm.

Sometimes our trend is paying WAY more attention to events and people way way way outside our scope of direct care-ability, and it’s taking away from our capacity to be generous and present with those we actually know and love.

If we treat the trend sensors in our primitive brain and body-mind as friends, then when they pick up these trends (and they will!), we can take small actions – baby steps – to change the trend. Softly bend the curve in the direction of well-being.

How are your trends?

What trends are you noticing?

Are there microsteps your body-mind is suggesting to coax the trend in a healthier, more thriving direction?

2 Likes

Yes I am dancing my microsteps a little more often now. They feel good and I seem to have more energy too. My microdances are up to about 9 to 10 minutes. I started with baby steps of 2 minutes. Now I’m dancing through two videos. One day I might film it and post it here.

I love that I began to change the hibernation trend with Rick’s Morning Mile inspiration and I’m so glad I did.

3 Likes

One of my intentions is to Use Weight (stored energy in my body-pantry) to build vitality. But ya know, an entire childhood of listening to my Mom talk about losing or gaining a quarter of a pound from Weight Watchers weigh-in to next weigh-in was really stuck in my craw / brain associations.

So… The Trend is Your Friend… true enough. It lets you know. Just make sure you’re looking at a trend and not a daily variation.

We vary in mood, biochemistry, and more. A glass of water changes our weight, true, and also what our muscles can happily absorb without drying out other parts of us.

When it comes to body weight, there is horribly much to-do about it when it is a poor actual indicator of vitality and strength. I can feel my spirit buddies reminding me that it is about vitality, and that yes my being will be better balanced if I Use Weight to build vitality.

Choosing a Longer Term Trend

What I’ve done in terms of tracking now is look at the monthly averages! Grateful to Apple Health app and the Withings scale for making this easy. I can look at a trend line of a moving average to get a sense… and I can track the trend on a monthly average (which keeps my primitive brain from trying to manipulate for short term “success.”)

To reiterate, my focus with these trends I’m tracking is to access and tie together my own body awareness as well. It blends kinesthetic sense of vitality and well-being with other metrics. Honestly, the one I watch the most now is hydration level… even a 1% difference seems to impact my well-being, but just drinking fluids is not enough. It’s movement combined with fluids…

We’re such intriguing creatures, aren’t we?

2 Likes