Habits as Identity

“I am multilingual” means more than one language matters to me. I just reached 450 days in Duolingo, building on my clarity of why adding another language would be good and enjoyable for me. And while the identity of multilingual will be more solid I’m sure after another 450 days and a broader vocabulary and fluency, "I am a student of Spanish is also identity and fits me well.

CB3FA887-22B0-4112-ADE8-8D287DFB59B7_4_5005_c

“I am a morning miler at day 310 also feels like it has become part of my identity, building again on many ways physically and emotionally that walking in nature would (and has! and will!) nourish me. Perhaps I didn’t realize when I started the deeply spiritual aspects of my morning mile; now I do.

It’s a recurring theme in emotional freedom work that we hit resistance… even rebellion… at making a change in our behaviors – creating a new habit and allowing it to reach our core identity.

While having a solid STACK of energetic why’s won’t necessarily eliminate the resistance without tapping and using activation energy… it’s certainly more congruent with freedom than alternatives like self-shaming and self-hate!

I invite you to explore that, and if there is a habit you’d like to become part of your self-identity (and isn’t yet), reply here and share that if having support would be helpful. It’s made a big difference for me :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

I am a Pelotoner. I use my Peloton bike or use the app almost everyday. It is part of my identity and I love it. Jess King is my favorite instructor because she is part fitness instructor and part therapist.

I would like to be multilingual but Im currently not. The story I’m telling myself is that I’m not good at language, but I did excel in school at both French and Spanish at some point. I am struggling to see this as somrthing that could be part of my identity.

3 Likes

How long have you been a Pelotoner?

How many sessions/days before that became part of your identity? Any sense of how much of it was skill/comfort… and how much was quantity… and how much was community/connection?

Perhaps “quantifying” isn’t really what I’m asking.

After about 20 Zumba classes where I felt a part of something that nourished me, combined with a sense “This is for ME!” – I became a Zumba dancer. For contact improv it took just one hour to go deep to my core as part of me.

And it changes I’ve noticed. I haven’t done Zumba in a long time. My “identity” has morphed to be more dancer – lover of movement expressed as part of my heartistry.

It’s interesting how these things infuse us, empower us, and embolden us.

3 Likes