You SHOULDN'T be treated that way, but what if that's a SHOULD as well?

I really appreciate how you’ve broken out these different levels of relating to an experience, @Glenn!

I would add one additional reframe in which labelling has been helpful for me, but without pathologizing me (the person having the experience):

-This is anxiety / anxiety is visiting me (this second phrase came from my very first meditation teacher)

I have found statement to be extremely helpful in creating a tiny bit of separation between me and the sensations + emotions (the powerful pause), especially in the most intense and overwhelming of experiences.

The label gives me the ability to understand what is happening, because then I understand that I’m having a normal/valid experience (based on my history, the trigger, the circumstances, my nervous system, etc.) When I use the label “anxiety,” I am also reminded that there are tools I can use to help me be with the experience. It can reduce my fear just enough so that I don’t totally shut down, because otherwise the place I tend to go is: “something is wrong” (I’m having a heart attack & need to go to emergency; I’m going crazy & I need to go to the psych ward).

This statement to be especially helpful in reminding me that there’s nothing wrong with me as a person just because I’m experiencing anxiety or having a panic attack.

4 Likes

How we language our experience can make such a difference. It can very quickly alter our perspective and our experience. This is one of the main reasons I love this community and in particular Rick’s great skill with reframing emotional experience.

I come from an NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) background so I have a real keen interest in how language interacts with our nervous system to produce subjective experience.

Cheers

4 Likes

Love this. So helpful! Thank you @Rach.

2 Likes