Trauma.......Joy

The writing below is from a trauma informed therapist named Deirdre Fay. It was contained in an email I received this morning. What she writes contains a heapin’ helpin’ of wisdom and what really strikes me is how much of it (all of it really) is only a slight rewording of Rick’s brilliant work in ‘Skills For Thriving’. She writes very explicitly on much of what Rick has spoken and written about.

It’s true. I once got in trouble talking about joy to trauma survivors – and trauma therapists.

Well, I’ve gotten in trouble many times before and after that. Another time, teaching in a training to trauma therapists, there was a LOT of pushback.

I was a bit startled.

Yes, I was putting forward something many wouldn’t think about.
When there’s trauma, when we’re hurting, we tend to put joy and trauma on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Or, perhaps more accurately, we can experience trauma as completely negating joy, goodness, happiness.

At those times I mentioned, I was sharing a startling experience I had multiple times in the depths of my healing.

That when I slowed down my pain, when I made contact with granular elements of the pain I was in, when I dropped the story I had about the pain…

…I consistently connected to a flow of joy that refreshed and revitalized me.

Pointing out the joy that is there is not to diminish or discount the pain.

It’s not to deny the trauma. Or prematurely transcend it.
Not at all.

Rather, being able to contact the joy that exists in and through and around the trauma can actually help us be with the pain, the horror, and distress.

When I talked with other therapists they said it might be true existentially but not relevant to healing.

What? Why not be with both so that the joy can buffer the pain, making life more bearable in the midst of healing?

Why do we get upset hearing that joy is the essence?
Why do we fight for our traumas and seem to want our pain to be the dominant discussion?

At the time these two events happened I was chagrined.

Ashamed that I dared to suggest something so … so “unemphatic”?

I learned to shut my own knowing, my own experience. Shut my inner wisdom down. Stop sharing about what was possible.

I learned there’s a “right” way to talk about trauma. A “right” way to help people heal.

I didn’t realize how much I shut out possibilities of helping people by toeing the politically correct path to heal trauma.

Over the years (decades) there have been many periods where I made my own healing harder.

I lost connection to the Sacred Flow in trying to do “it” right, to “fit in” and be accepted.

Being relevant in a certain sphere encouraged losing my own wisdom, severing the connection I had spent decades accessing.

In orienting horizontally to others I lost, or ruptured connection vertically. Accessing Sacred Flow and Inner Wisdom became harder at times… I didn’t have as ready an access.

Yes, trauma is horribly painful.
Massively disruptive. Chaotic.

And…
at the same time, Joy is real. It is part of the song consciousness evokes.

The benefit of connecting to the Joy that’s always there is that healing becomes a lot easier to be with, to move through, to endure.

Recently, I took some time in sabbatical. During those many months I began to realize how disconnected I had become to the generative source.

I didn’t realize how this had happened over time, how I had unconsciously narrowed access to the Inner Wisdom that flows in all of us, all the time.

When we do this it’s so much easier to drown in the pain of life, the distress of experience.

Accessing joy, making it a steady practice is part of tenderizing, the softening that allows healing to rise organically.

Each of us has a unique knowing. A unique path home to ourselves.

There’s no one size fits all procedure or process.

There are maps, yes. There are frameworks that can assist us to listen, attune, orient to this Sacred Flow.

Ultimately we have to take the external structures that others suggest and pause. Let the knowing of others still…while our own Inner Wisdom guides us to remember and imbibe the Sacred Flow.

What do you know…inside?

What arises inside you is way more important, way more interesting (!) than what others have to say.

When we take the time to…
Yield.
Wait.
Listen.
Attune.
…we open up space for what’s True to grow. To flourish.

And that ALWAYS interests me!

7 Likes

Mmmm, yes. So much yes. Joyful yes.

For me I realized early that Emotional Freedom does incorporate the vast energies and possibilities. I know, for example, that there are “therapeutic models” that it would be actually deadly for ME to embrace.

Not that they are wrong. Not that they are not useful for some.

They just are deadly for me.

My prayer is that I hold a large enough space that people can and do have their own guidance rise, they can feel their own flow, that my energy supports that – sometimes questions – but doesn’t seek to override.

At the same time I’m incapable of dancing with certain approaches, even if those approaches are held by colleagues who are “wildly successful.”

It’s… the Healing ARTS… with emphasis on the art part for me. And whatever instrument/body we play, our style is ours, uniquely, even if we seek to be so close as to mimic styles of others or as divergent to eek out “territory” of our very own.

Thanks for sharing this. ~Rick

7 Likes

Ah joy! Yes I need joy! It does help the trauma and pain not feel so bad. I find taking pictures of sunrises and sunsets among other things joyful. Joy is drawing a picture and coloring it. Also listening to music and chatting with friends. I also get joy from posting funny memes on my fun page and giving others the space to laugh too.
Good article, thanks Glenn.

4 Likes

Thanks, Glenn, for this article. It makes sense to me. I have been seeking to find ways to connect with joy more (have a tendency towards depression & anxiety; and still a fair bit of unresolved trauma).

I’d like to start a thread / topic of sharing little joys or “joy spotting”. Yesterday my little joy was finding a neat mug with beautiful art on it (by Jackie Traverse). The art is called “Mother Daughter Water Song”. I don’t know the story behind this, but it spoke to me and bringing it home (on Family Day / in Canada) seemed to bring some healing energy between mom & I, so I’m grateful…

Anyone else want to play along? Share your little joys if you feel like it…

4 Likes

I want to keep going with the “joy spotting” (an idea I got from Ingrid Fetell Lee). Hopefully it will become an ingrained habit after awhile.

Today’s little joy was cashing out after work in retail, and the cash balance came out as $555.55 (how oddball is that)? Supposedly according to numerology, 555 is considered to be an angel number - said to represent change, good luck, transformation, freedom, and personal growth. Some say it means positive change & adventure.

3 Likes

Little joy for today was finding out mom will take a short trip to Ottawa to see her sister in April, so I will get to enjoy spending some time alone here - I appreciate the peace & quiet. Feeling blessed.

3 Likes

Today was a dreary, grumpy, blah day - struggling to find the little joys. So I figured abit of humor might suffice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

wearing a cape lazy

procrastination joke

5 Likes

Managed to do some yoga today - celebrating that little win (since I’ve fallen off the “regular yoga practice wagon” for far too long now)

Plus - found this cool purple gate pic on Facebook - love the colors!

4 Likes

Purple Gate!!! Love it. And joy spotting… especially sharing in what others spot as joyful (even when grumpy). Yes!

3 Likes

Thanks Rick, well said. A relief that another recognizes we are not the same and we all respond and heal differently. Yes, some modalities can heal one and at the same time be deadly to another. Smile, happiness is knowing others are aware and accept these things.

3 Likes

What a beautiful picture Jewel, thank you for sharing it with us. So glad you noticed it too.