Pain relief

Hi.
I am in the process of solely focusing my practice on Pain management. I use hypnosis, EFT, NLP, meditation in my approach.
Does anyone have any recommendations as far providing clients with informed consent forms, or liability forms before beginning to work with them?
Thank you.
Edward

1 Like

I don’t. There’s a general privacy and disclaimer that is a part of my website that I link to. I believe that liability insurance is useful, as well, since no form actually stops someone who intends to sue from suing. It is useful downstream.

There can be an onboarding process you use to make sure everyone is on the same page with what you will be doing and what you won’t.

If you are licensed by the state or a national board, they may have things like a code of ethics or standard of care that is required or recommended.

There certainly are different onboarding processes, some quite detailed in terms of collecting a history and confidentiality agreements and liability waivers. ACEP is a place you might check and see what they might have (that is focused on energy psychology professionals, many of them licensed.)

Rick

Thank you Rick. I will look into this.
Of course, I will advise them to also seek a medical professional just in case.
Edward

Another aspect that just came to me is to be sure that you do not advertise as treating specific diagnosis. You probably already have that on your radar. It’s just something that coaches often don’t realize that talking about “treating” or specializing in specific kids of pain can run afoul of licensing and scope of practice issues.

Self-help and teaching pain relief techniques and approaches is fine.

Rick

That’s a really good point Rick. I will keep my practice focused on “chronic pain” in general.
I think of my approach as being “complimentary” to whatever the client is going through with their physician. Of course the hope is that these individuals will eventually not rely on any opiates, as they move towards becoming almost pain free.
Thank you.
Ed

“When you feel the pain, how do you start feeling emotionally? (scared, fearful, anxious, worried, hopeless)?”

Do those feelings make the pain worse (louder, stronger, more ‘unbearable’)?

In my experience, pain can really suck. But to the extent I turn down/off the emotional amplifiers, the pain at a 2000 drops back to pain at a 5. I can even thrive with pain at a 5. :wink:

Chronic pain is a professional description, right? I mean, what percentage of people differentiate between acute and chronic (enough to define those terms)?

Pain that overwhelms –
Pain that stresses you to breaking!
Pain that never seems to go away
Pain that takes over your life
A thunderstorm of suffering – and how to calm the storm

Rick

Great insights Rick!! Thank you.
I think most people would be happy to cut their pain down to a 1 or a 2. Actually a 1 might not be bad, as it still signals them to not overdo it.

1 Like

Pain Relief (as in a direct reduction in pain level) is often challenging with tapping. Sometimes the tapping really rewires their system so they still get that “input” but it doesn’t scream.

For others, I believe the key aspect we can definitely address more effectively than many other approaches is taking the “suffering” out of the pain – especially the emotional suffering.

Agreed. You can tap on the symptoms - e.g., dull pain in my lower back, and the tapping can lower the SUDs for at least the short term. But real change occurs when we get to the root cause, which is often emotions. Also, as you noted, the emotional processing that occurs during pain (suffering), is what we most need to aim at eliminating. Tapping on the emotions is possibly the best way to do this.
I like some of John Sarno’s principles - that the cause of “Chronic”, persistent pain is due to stored/repressed emotions. There may be something to this. And it it’s true, then EFT would be one of the best tools to deal with the problem.
Cheers.

1 Like