No Explanation Needed

IMG_4019

5 Likes

So true!

1 Like

Now if everyone would stop asking me what happened to my dog? (I gave her a haircut and I then feel compelled to explain!)

2 Likes

Yes sometimes we do feel compelled to answer. What used to bother me was when people asked, whatā€™s new or what have you been up to? Once I told someone Iā€™d been knitting sweaters for squirrels but had trouble catching them to try the sweaters on. She got mad at me. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I still cringe when people ask whatā€™s new or what Iā€™ve been up to. Or, worse, what my plans are for the summer, etc.

I end up feeling like thereā€™s something wrong with me because I donā€™t really have anything that I consider newsworthy, then I end up fishing around in my brain hoping I can come up with something that sounds ā€œinteresting enoughā€.

3 Likes

I know exactly what that feels like within me Margo. I have always felt like they are just being ā€œpoliteā€ but they really donā€™t want to know. Iā€™ve also shared a bit of what interests me and their eyes glaze over. Most people go places and do things. I almost always enjoy what I do in my house. We could always say, Oh weā€™ve been doing things that warm our hearts. I wonder if this would make a good subject for a circle call.

1 Like

I like coming up with absurd things.

ā€œWhatā€™s new with you?ā€

ā€œWell, I decided to start bathing againā€¦ā€.
ā€œIt looks like the charges will be droppedā€¦ā€
ā€œThe doctors all say itā€™s very likely Iā€™m not contagious anymoreā€¦ā€

All said with great enthusiasm and a look of ā€œisnā€™t that great!ā€ on my faceā€¦

3 Likes

What a good idea Glenn :joy: I think my knitting sweaters for squirrels was pretty good but Iā€™m sure there are even better ones. Iā€™m going to put on my silly hat and play with absurdism.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s like asking ā€œHow are you?ā€ when they donā€™t really want to know. I often answer with a simple ā€œHelloā€ and it really throws them off.

Them: ā€œHey, what have you been up to lately?ā€

Me: ā€œHello!ā€

Them: Confused lookā€¦

2 Likes

Zig Ziglar used to great everyone everytime with ā€œGood Morning!ā€ Yes, at 10pm in the elevator. A bright cheerful Good Morning!

I love the squirrel reply. To me that speaks to the weirdness and uniqueness that I find so appealing. But some people cannot, for example, handle in their brain humor like that. Best for them to stay away from me . I had a friend (for a while) whose brain did not process absurdities. She found being around me very uncomfortable ā€“ even though I donā€™t consider my humor to be nearly as absurdly clever as knitting sweaters for squirrels but having a hard time catching them!

3 Likes

Brilliant Margo! I have a friend who always says Good Morning no matter what time it is. Itā€™s annoyed me sometimes but Iā€™m sure that has to do with what mood Iā€™m in at the time.

Youā€™re right that saying hello can throw them off. I found that asking them a question works too. They forget about wanting to know what Iā€™m doing because they love talking about themselves. I do that often when I am sure they donā€™t really want to hear about me and I donā€™t feel like sharing about me.

Iā€™m glad you like my squirrel reply. Recently I was thinking about saying, ā€œgiving a lot of thought about what the result would be of a cat and dog producing an offspring. So I went to AI and played around. What have you been up to?

1 Like

When I was a little kid I thought cats were female and dogs were maleā€¦thatā€™s how I had that sorted. So, in that universe there could be offspringā€¦

2 Likes

I like the ā€˜Good morningā€™ optionā€¦

I will often use a line from that great fun movie ā€˜The Big Chillā€™ and just say to someone ā€œAre we the first oneā€™s up?ā€

So I think combining those two statements, ā€˜Good morningā€¦are we the first oneā€™s up?ā€™ would be an excellent opportunity to create some mild confusion and/or laughter.

If youā€™ve got two minutes and twenty-four seconds to spare itā€™s a funny sceneā€¦

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t the first one up this morning :stuck_out_tongue: but its an amusing expression.
I watched the video but couldnā€™t understand much of what they were saying over the ā€œmusicā€ (a pet peeve) and there wasnā€™t any cc on it. I did enjoy seeing the way they changed scenes with shadows fading in and out of the wall.

1 Like

What they were saying wasnā€™t really importantā€¦it was the idea that all these people had been up for probably hours busily and noisily getting their day started and then Jeff Goldblum comes in long after theyā€™ve all cleared out, obviously having slept through all that activity, and then asks ā€˜are we the first oneā€™s up?ā€™. Anyway, maybe it makes more sense and is funnier when you know the larger context of the movie and the various charactersā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes it made sense when you explained it. Thank you Glenn.

You too Glenn! So did I. Thatā€™s why I wanted to see what Midjouney would come up with if I asked for a cat/dog offspring. I got some weird pictures but not quite what I was looking for.

I think Iā€™m going to watch the whole movie again! Itā€™s a good one, for sure!

2 Likes