Make sure she doesn't pee or poop!

I was on a sound check with a client and someone forgot to hit mute. We all heard her say clear as day, “make sure she doesn’t pee or poop.” I happened to be the one talking right before that and I had a moment where I thought, are we acknowledging that this happened? In those professional settings, there is no peeing or pooping allowed. It was too glaring to ignore so I laughed and then others did. The person then totally shame-spiraled and put her puppy on video to show that it was about the dog. I told her this totally made my day. It was the most honest and refreshing moment of my day by FAR. Healing, actually. She followed up with an apology email and I told her that I feel like I can be more my authentic self with her now. We need more pee and poop moments at work. Bring the full humanity. An upside of the pandemic, I suppose. Thought I would share for my other :poop: poopmoji loving peeps. Posted this in family because it felt like a work family moment.

4 Likes

We all suffer when we try to ‘clean up’ our mammalian image…no sex, excrement, fart, death, sickness talk allowed…it’s impolite!..(it’s considered polite to pretend that those things don’t occur I suppose…?)…there’s the suggestion that we’ve evolved beyond those ‘primitive’ activities somehow…I’m in solidarity with :poop:

5 Likes

Oh Dru you know I would love it, thanks :exclamation::exclamation:So refreshing.

2 Likes

Haha, Dru! :poop: gets real xD

4 Likes

I worked with mentally handicapped adults (I don’t know what the current fashionable term is now) of a wide spectrum of severity for 10 years in a day program setting as well as a residential setting. You gotta be real okay with the whole enchilada of human biological functions in that job let me tell you. It covers (often quite literally) the entire spectrum of the various fluids and solids and gasses we are all composed of. And, as you can imagine, the humour amongst the staff would often reflect that aspect of the job. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Omg yes! When I was 23 I worked with adults with autism who were nonverbal using facilitated communication to integrate their needs into everyday life decisions. It was the most incredibly challenging learning experience of my life. I learned so much from them and grew so much myself. Very humbling experience having the honor to assist people with daily, intimate functions in their deepest vulnerability. I miss them still and wonder if any of them are still around.

3 Likes

Yes, it really challenged me as well and allowed me to grow in some very useful and pervasive ways. It provided the opportunity to really deeply consider the nature of being human…the full spectrum of it. Another very wonderful benefit was that my two daughters had the opportunity to be around many of these people a lot beginning at a young age and into their teens and that exposure to very different, unusual behaviours was, I think, so formative and pivotal for them and their ability to understand and respond to the humanity in all of us regardless of how it may present itself. I’m very appreciative for that… :heart:

3 Likes