There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter 5

I walk down another street.

~ Portia Nelson ~

10 Likes

So much humanity in this.

5 Likes

Love this! I think i read this a long time ago when I was in a different life chapter. So great to read again. Thanks, @Angelsloveyou.

4 Likes

Thanks Dru. Yes I read it when I was in a different chapter too. I’m glad you like it.

2 Likes

Yes, I have fallen into that hole a few times but one day someone fixed the hole - :rofl:

2 Likes

Who was that someone @Angelsloveyou ?

3 Likes

A very kind person who wants to remain anonymous :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t know that Portia Nelson wrote this! I first came across it in the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche who adopted it in his book! As I re-read it now, it speaks to me of taking responsibility for our actions and habits. Only then, with awareness and clarity and acceptance can we walk down another street.

4 Likes

So true Norene we do have to take responsibility and sometimes a kind soul helps too.
I read this years back when Dr Wayne Dyer talked and wrote about it.
Who is Portia Nelson?

2 Likes

As I said before, I had never heard of Portia Nelson but found out that she was an American singer, song-writer, actor and writer; she died in 2001 at age 80. She was in The Sound of Music, Dr. Dolittle and much to my surprise, All My Children (my all time favorite soap opera!) She has a book called There’s a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery.
I love the idea of a kind soul helping us on our journey. You and our Circle Members are the kind souls who have helped me on my life’s sometimes rocky rocky road :heart::yellow_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart::orange_heart:

3 Likes

Ah All My Children! Yes my favorite soap opera too! I wonder what character she played. I’ll google it plus the book. Yes I love that idea of a kind soul helping us on our journey too. You and our Circle Members are kind souls and truly I don’t know where I would be without us all :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

She played Rachel Gurney several times in 1983 and again in 1991. I only have a vague memory of who Rachel Gurney was.

2 Likes

One of my favorite stories! xxoo

2 Likes