From Rage To Self-Love

Firstly the title of this video is a bit ridiculous I think…it’s not really about never being angry…I’m not even sure that’s a reasonable or desireable goal frankly. In fact what this man is discussing is rage rather than simply being angry. That aside this is a very interesting and moving description of how a very simple technique and concept rewired this man’s nervous system within a very short period of time to change his life dramatically from a self-loathing, raging, violent and angry man into someone who is calm, self-accepting and self-loving. Very inspiring!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this Glenn, it is amazing how fast he changed! I agree rage is different than anger. Much different. I wonder what happened to him as a child to fill him up with such rage.

1 Like

“…I’d be a lot kinder…”

Wonderful practice.

3 Likes

I wonder that too…he may not even know I suppose. I wonder if it’s more subtle than that…I think most of us, me included, reflexively think in a sort of Newtonian way…looking for an obvious cause - effect… X caused Y in the same manner one billiard ball hits another causing it to move…and often we will find it. But I suspect our inner workings are more like quantum physics a lot of the time…not beholden to cause-effect ‘laws’ in the way our environment and the physical world operates.

Anyway, it’s still a useful question to ask…that’s for sure.

2 Likes

It is wonderful and so obvious too…so elegant…and I’m guessing it’s also very adaptive to situations beyond troublesome emotions too perhaps. It has the ring of Stoicism to it.
I’m going to practice it.

2 Likes

Being a parent especially in “two rounds” at such different times in my life, I notice how each child comes into the world with such a unique blend of energies.

From that lens, especially when he talks about the age where he realized his rage, has me feeling his “firepower” and how perhaps that life force energy was not given “healthy” outlet so it, well, burst forth in “rage.”

Raging fires are a thing. Wondering if he’d been given an ax at three or five years old and was able to chop down trees, hack them into pieces, and create raging bonfires for the tribe whether the drywall (and his psyche) would have taken so much of a beating…

3 Likes

Yes…release/direct the metaphor outward…a ‘raging fire’ becomes a raging fire…I like that.

My eyes were opened with the birth of my oldest daughter…she came out with a fully formed ‘energy profile’ (a rather clumsy way to describe it!). Perhaps only a minute after she was born she was laid down on her back on a small table by a nurse. Almost instantly she flipped herself over and began crawling!! I couldn’t believe it! And that’s who she’s been since that moment…energetic, unstoppable, motivated etc. So, yes, I do think we all come into this earthly realm with at least some of our ‘energetic personality’ (I like that better!) formed and ready to go.

Quite an adventure we are on!!

3 Likes

Wow that is amazing!! That sounds like it could have been a record for flipping and crawling for a baby. When did she start walking?

1 Like

It’s a long time ago but I’m quite certain it was around 9 mos. that she took her first steps…

1 Like