Epistemic extortion, between epistemic obligation and political duty

Would love to discuss this article written by a friend of mine in Argentina. I keep re-reading it and feel very moved by so many of the points. Would love to get other people’s take on this.

2 Likes

Honestly, my brain glazes over with the way this is written. I could never, ever be an academic. I asked AI to summarize it. And still I get lost.

Recognizing this may not at all be core to what is actually said…

I note that most humans exist on multiple spectrums of gifts and gaps. They have beliefs that matter to them, some they will defend to the death even if I’d view them as archaic, destructive, and cruel to others not of their “viewpoint/cultural tribe.”

As you know from my concepts for thriving, “obligation and political duty” are not values I hold. Perhaps that is why I end up utterly blanking.

What I do value are things like safety, respect, and freedom. I believe honoring and making we-spaces for a vast and growing array of heartistries is good for humanity and the planet.

I also know that nothing changes at the base layer of beliefs and core paradigms without assertiveness on the part of those with clarity, passion, and sufficient skill to make a point, persuade, influence, and coax. And model.

Any of us wanting to change how anything is perceived has their work ahead. I find it more sane-preserving for me to find cooperative beings who share values and co-create the world I want to see – a networked kinship. (I’ve already admitted to you I’m more builder, engineer, co-creator, visioneer rather than activist.)

Perhaps that gives you something to riff on from what the article inspired in you?

4 Likes

Definitely. Thank you for reading and engaging! I love what you shared; it does give me food for thought. This was originally written in Spanish so that might be part of the translation, although it is a certain philosophy style for sure.

The article gets me thinking about what it means to do identity work for pay and not for pay. It ties into emotional freedom. The more I see value in my experience and the more I feel choice about when and how I share my knowledge, the more empowered I feel.

4 Likes