Contemporary Violence

1 Like

How does this speak to you, @Dru ?

I’m curious the source or experience of violence in that.

3 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t use the word violence because it feels too strong. I do feel doing all that to ourselves wouldn’t be good for our emotional or mental health.

1 Like

Heard this from Tara Brach - Shifting from Limbic to Liberating Intention. Shifting from Limbic to Liberating Intention - Tara Brach Highly recommend listening. Grabbed my attention as someone who was socialized as female and raised Catholic. So much of my programming about being good or worthy in the world was about selflessness and helping others, focus on others, take care of others, people-please, etc. I parlayed that training into becoming a social justice warrior where my focus remained on my community, helping others, taking calls in the middle of the night to keep people alive, etc… at my own expense. Never thought about this as violence towards myself. I am a member of the community that I aspire to help, so putting my own needs first and practicing deep and meaningful self care is in line with my values. Undoing this programming requires a bit of ferocity – reminding myself how it can be violent to myself to not do this is helpful.

3 Likes

I understand the word violence more now since you explained it Dru,

2 Likes