Aphantasia: The People Without a Mind's Eye

Aphantasia describes the inability to create visual mental imagery. Coming from a background in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic - Programming) I guess I always assumed everyone could make visual mental imagery. Some were just better at it then others.

So, if you can’t make visual images how do you know when you’ve found what you’re looking for? The fellow in the film is asked to picture an apple and he says all he sees is black. If he is struck with the desire to eat an apple how does he know when he’s found an apple in the fridge if he can’t visualize? Wouldn’t we need a visual mental template to compare to? How do you recognize people you know without a visual mental template to compare to? I’m wondering if in fact these people do visualize but do it at at a more unconscious level then most of us. They perhaps can’t visualize ‘on demand’ (ie: “picture an apple”) but when they desire an apple they are are working from an unconscious image of an apple that they are not aware of…like I assume I do. The only difference is that if you ask me to picture an apple I can do it.

There’s also some evidence that indicates that people with aphantasia are far less prone to PTSD, which I suppose makes sense. If you can’t visualize traumatizing imagery then you are far less likely to experience trauma. Fascinating stuff.

1 Like

This is interesting. I found the video hard to listen to because they put all this “music” over the talking. It is so dysregulating for me.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not a fan of that ‘music over everything’ style. I didn’t find it distracting in this instance for some reason…in fact I had to go back an listen because I couldn’t recall there being music…lol… but in some contexts I just stop watching when that happens.

1 Like

I may be in a space where I can watch and listen to it again. I’m not there right now. How interesting you didn’t hear it.

1 Like

I notice it less if I am not on headphones. On headphones background music can kill it for me.

I’ve known three people who cannot recall faces. Meet them somewhere other than where they are sure of the context (like going to them for a chiropractic adjustment and they have my name on the schedule) and they will appear to not know me at all.

Our brains are so diverse and fascinating.

1 Like

That might be why the music didn’t jump out at me…I was listening through speakers.

1 Like

Ah I was on headphones but we also notice it a lot on so many documentaries. It could be our “old” ears.

1 Like