A woman built her own Tiny House

Tiny houses fascinate me. Who knows, I might have one someday, although I doubt if I’ll build it myself. I love watching videos showing different types of tiny houses and the creative ways they design them. I asked my son if he had room on his property for a tiny house. Thinking ahead maybe? The video I’m posting is rather long but I found it so interesting. She talks about sharing which is nice. If this speaks to you I hope you enjoy watching. It isn’t my style but I found it so interesting.

2 Likes

I love the tiny house idea but I also recognize that it probably wouldn’t work for me as I think I’d be a bit claustrophobic living in one. Just a tad too confined. Our small (by today’s standards) post-war house built in 1946 is about the right size frankly. Small enough to easily keep clean and big enough to accumulate guitars and other stuff. I mean the main point of having a house is so you can fill it with stuff, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might have trouble with storing books in a tiny house. I know what you mean about claustrophobic. I’ve wondered that myself. After I posted this I wondered about a house on wheels being safe in wind storms even if they aren’t tornados. They probably wouldn’t be and I know that would bother me more than anything else. It might really be hard to downsize because I like “stuff” too. :wink:

1 Like

But I love this story…It’s great that the woman loves how and where she lives and that she feels a very intimate and personal connection to it. And I love that she is ‘off the grid’ to a certain degree and is living a bit of a rustic lifestyle minus many of today’s conveniences. That stirred my heart a bit I must say. It harkens back to a younger me when I lived in situations that were similar. It means more work to accomplish some daily tasks but there is such a deep satisfaction in that…that you used your body and your being to sustain yourself. You may not be ‘happy’ having to do those things but they can give you a really deep sense of satisfaction and contentment.

1 Like

Could you share some of your experiences that stirred your heart a bit?

Yes the story is why I posted this. I love how she took the time to find what she wanted despite what others told her. The satisfaction from living your way has to be satisfaction and contentment.

1 Like

I grew up in northern Ontario, Canada in a smallish town. I spent a lot of time as a teenager with my friend Ian’s family. I kinda lived there a lot so I could be out of my house which didn’t feel like much of a home for me. At Ian’s house we had to go out into the woods in the winter and cut wood for the wood burning stove. That usually took place quite early in the morning. His father, who was such a dear, kind soul with a bit of a wicked sense of humour, would sometimes wake us up early on a Saturday morning (after we’d been out drinking 'til 2 or 3 am) by standing at the foot of the bed and starting up the chainsaw…LOL. Up and at’em!! Even after the roar of the saw stopped you’d have to get out of the bedroom because it was filled with exhaust. But I mean it…he really was a wonderful guy despite how that story may sound…:slight_smile:

Some years later I lived in a log cabin through a winter with few amenities. The worst was getting out of bed in the morning. The floor and the air were sooooo cold. It was shocking to the system. Again, it was heated by wood so it involved chopping wood to heat it.

So, not a lot of experience in living a ‘pioneer’ lifestyle. I’m no Grizzly Adams but I’ve had a little taste of it when I was younger and the tiny house woman’s story, for whatever reason, triggered some of those past feelings of being a bit closer to nature with less of a buffer zone provided by technology.

2 Likes

I’ve seen You Tube Videos of someone scaring people with that chainsaw trick!

I cannot imagine being that cold though. How long did you live in the cabin if you don’t mind me asking. Did you cook with wood and catch your food?

I like watching Little House on the Prairie :scream: I had a past life regression and found myself as a scout guiding stage coaches. Whether it was real or not I don’t know but maybe I had a past life in the “prairie”.

2 Likes

I can assure you that the chain saw ‘trick’ didn’t seem very funny after only a few hours of drunken sleep…seems funny now though. And my friend’s father seemed to enjoy it at the time I will add. :slight_smile:

I only lived in the cabin for a month or so. I went and joined a couple of friends who were living there. It was in a little town called Red Rock at the upper end of Lake Superior. They had gotten work in a lumber mill and I think that’s why I went up. In fact, now that I think about it my friend Ian came up with me but he didn’t last long and he took the train back home. Anyway, I never got work at the mill and I headed home not to long after Ian left. And our food came from the grocery store. But there was a lot of fur trapping that went on in those regions. I’m not sure whether that’s still the case now. Anyway, it’s apparent that I’m most comfortable only dabbling in the pioneer lifestyle.

I had a recurring dream when I was younger where I was in a deep wooded glen (Glenn!) with a small river running through and surrounded by grassy hills. There were warriors coming down the hills toward me with spears and swords. I always had the sense that this scene was in Britain somewhere. I had this dream a number of times and I always had a sense that it was more than a dream…that I was connected to it in someway. I haven’t had that dream for probably close to 50 years now.

2 Likes

One of my favorite topics is Past Lives and Reincarnation. I am by no means an expert but I’ve read a lot of books. Maybe your dream is connected in some way. Have you had a curiosity about Britain? Or warriors? Or not.

2 Likes