Better Boundaries

I like having fuel for creating a list of options. Saying NO is a skill, and having a few of these that you practice speaking to yourself, and allow them to come forward when something isn’t a yes… so savvy!


Nice Ways to Say “No”

  1. I really wish I could, but I can’t.
  2. That’s a lovely idea, but I have to decline.
  3. I appreciate the invite, but I won’t be able to join.
  4. It means a lot that you asked, but I’m not available.
  5. I’m overcommitted at the moment, so I’ll have to pass.
  6. Sadly, I’m not in a position to say yes right now.
  7. I have too much on my plate right now.
  8. This time won’t work for me, unfortunately.
  9. I need to prioritize something else right now.
  10. I’m not the best person for this, but thank you.
  11. I don’t have the capacity to take this on.
  12. Let me pass on this one, but keep me in mind!
  13. I’ll sit this one out, but I appreciate the thought.
  14. I’m going to have to say no, but I wish you the best!
  15. Thank you, but I’m not taking anything new on right now.
  16. I’m not free that day, but I hope it goes well!
  17. That’s not something I can commit to.
  18. Not this time, but I appreciate you reaching out.
  19. I’ll need to decline, but I’m grateful for the offer.
  20. That’s kind of you, but I’ll have to skip it.
1 Like

Helpful list. Thank you.

1 Like

1 Like

These days I’m learning to hear the difference between my authentic no and my fearful no. “I don’t want to do this” hits differently than “I’m scared to do this.” One feels clean, clear, like truth settling into place. The other feels sticky with old stories and borrowed beliefs.

Both are valid, but they’re asking for different kinds of attention. I’m getting better at pausing to ask: “Which no is this?”

1 Like

I’m noticing how often the phrase “I don’t have time” actually means “this isn’t a priority given my current values” - but we rarely want to confront that more honest framing.

When I catch myself saying I “don’t have time” for a friend, creative project, or self care practice, it’s usually more accurate to admit these activities don’t align with what I’m currently prioritizing.

This isn’t inherently wrong - we all make value judgments about where to invest our limited time - but the language of time scarcity often shields us from the discomfort of acknowledging our actual choices.

What might change if you replaced “I don’t have time” with “this isn’t a priority for me right now” in your internal dialogue? @su_dreams

1 Like

I think sometimes it would feel uplifting, like a breath and a relief, and other times it would feel challenging, butting up against self judgment and pressure to please or perform or avoid pain and exclusion.

1 Like

Like “I don’t feel well so can’t come.” Or, “I can’t afford it” when I have the money in my pocket. I’d love more opportunities to be honest and transparent in connection with others. I certainly yearn for it! And, well, “So sorry, I’m too busy right now” is something we give each other more allowance around than sometimes those deeper truths that bump up against people’s expectations (and demands) for compliance with the obligations they want to shackle us with….

1 Like